As we scale from a small to a medium-sized organization, we are looking to build our infrastructure and institutional memory. We seek 1-2 full-time employees based in Ecuador to refine our accountability systems, scale up marketing and education efforts, and improve collaborations with local water center managers and communities. We believe that every person has a right to clean, affordable water, and we are committed to successful, sustainable growth in our organization.
The staff member will be based on Muisne and work closely with both Ecuadorian and US-based Water Ecuador staff to assist in our rapidly growing organization. The manager will:
- Collaborate with local participants to refine Water Ecuador’s social enterprise model for application on a larger scale, building the Water Ecuador brand
- Visit water centers regularly and improve and systematize the system of communication and accountability between water centers and regional staff
- Develop a quality improvement system to increase water sales through improved marketing and education in collaboration with local water center managers
- Create standard operating procedures to facilitate Water Ecuador scale-up
- Work with country staff and water center managers to improve workflow
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Advanced Spanish (advanced English preferred for native Spanish speakers)
- Self-motivated and independent worker with a willingness to innovate and adapt
- Experience and coursework related to global health and/or international development
- Business skills and experience
- IT skills (minimum: Microsoft Word and Excel)
Duration of Position: 1-2 years
Compensation: The employee will receive a generous living stipend to cover daily expenses, flights, and program costs.
Send questions or resume & cover letter: firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
Water Ecuador has volunteer opportunities both in Ecuador and in your home country. In Ecuador, past volunteers have built water treatment systems, taught in schools about the importance of safe water and good hygiene, tested water sources for microbial and chemical contamination, and worked to strengthen the administrative structure of our organization. In your home country, you can get involved by “tabling” for Water Ecuador at local events, assisting in webdesign and other graphic design needs, raising donations for our organization, and many other activities depending on your particular interests and expertise.
Successful volunteers in Ecuador have been:
- Ready to change the world
- Passionate and energetic
- Able to adapt to new and unfamiliar circumstances
- Able to develop and implement a project without a lot of oversight
- Adventurous—willing to try something new and make mistakes along the way.
- Fluent or conversational in Spanish
If this sounds like you, fill out the form at the bottom of this page and we will email you about your potential volunteer experience.
We also run an internship program for college students and recent graduates. Internship descriptions for 2014 can be found here: InternshipDescriptions2014. Though applications are accepted on a rolling basis, we ask that college students applying for internships submit a cover letter and resume directly to email@example.com by January 25th.
Please refer to the Field Manual: Volunteering with Water Ecuador for information ranging from how to buy your plane ticket to Ecuador to how to say “septic tank” in Spanish (answer: pozo séptico).
For detailed information about doing educational work with Water Ecuador, please review the Field Manual: Water and Sanitation Education document and associated materials.
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you arrange an educational and inspiring volunteer experience!